14 September 2007

Following the path before me

Today we created life. Four lives, to be exact.

Truth to tell, it was yesterday that life was created. Yesterday Hirono and I used her eggs and my sperm to create embryos. Four embryos were created. Each is its own life. They are not yet human. What I feel right now is very visceral. Very instinctual. There is absolutely no question about it. My devotion to this new life is unbreakable. But yet I feel very clearly they are not yet human.

Our goal is to have twins or a single child. If more than two eggs begin to mature in the womb we have a tough question to face. That decision tests the limit of my bond. Herein lies the dilemma of abortion. What sway does our instinct have upon our judgment?

What are the changes to the odds of healthy delivery of children if we go to term on more than two? What happens to Hirono’s body? What are her survival chances? These are the primary factors in that decision. Nobody else can tell us what is right and what is not right. This is a moral dilemma Hirono and I must face together, alone.

--e

No comments: